Autumn is by far my favorite season. Especially when I'm in a forest, the place I feel most at home. I'm hoping to get up to the Appalachian Mountains sometime this fall (I live quite close to them) and do some hiking and field painting. The leaves are always so gorgeous up there.
If I was a really organized person, I would've had a kiriban/giveaway for my recent landmark of 100k pageviews. But, I'm not. So I was thinking to do something fun/nice for all of you, not just one lucky person. Suggestions? In the past I've posted silly behind the scenes pictures etc. as small "thank you"s; would you like me to do that again? Please let me know. I want to thank you all for all of your support, encouragement, and kind words! I can't tell you how much that means to me.
If you follow my tumblr over at lady-of-faerietales.tumblr.com… , you've probably seen that I recently adopted a new kitten. Right before I moved into my new house, I found a tiny kitten abandoned in a storm drain, and after checking to make sure his momma/family wasn't coming back and a visit to the vet, I adopted him. He's an adorable orange tabby named Arthur, who is so very sweet and loving, and I feel so very blessed that we found each other. He was only about 3 weeks old when I found him (he weighed 6 ounces), but he's growing up big and strong, and having a great time playing in my studio as I get it organized! As you may have noticed, I'm a crazy cat lady in the making. Right now I just have the starter kit.
I'll be at the Escapist Expo this coming weekend (Oct. 4-6), and will be working at the Carolina Renaissance Festival every weekend thereafter, until Nov. 24. So if you see me, be sure to say hi : ) I promise, I don't bite.
So, as something fun to get to know all you new followers, I thought I'd post 10 random facts about me, and we can see what we have in common!
1. I love forests/nature, especially trees. If you look closely, you can notice a lot of leaves/tree of life motifs in my work. My favorite tree is the birch, as it stands for renewal and in the Norse tradition, is associated with Freja, the Lady of the Forest, and creativity. I also really like mori style decor and fashion.
2. I don't like chocolate.
3. I am a book worm. I've always been a voracious reader, and one of my majors in undergraduate was English (surprise, surprise). Some of my favorite authors include Haruki Murakami, James Joyce, Virginia Woolf, T. H. White, and, of course, Tolkien. I also love faerie tales, both the classics and modern retellings.
4. I've never been to a concert. I've been to lots of symphonies and operas, which I really enjoy (yay, student tickets!), but never to an actual concert, like rock concert etc. I'd love to see Imogen Heap in concert one day...
5. I'm very influenced by Scandinavian style/Norse myths/medieval Scandinavian art. My family is Norwegian, so I grew up hearing the old stories of Odin, Freja, etc., and have carried that with me into my adult life. Similarly, my mother loves Scandinavian knotwork (Jelling style) and illuminated manuscripts, so I tend towards that style of decoration.
6. To me, there is nothing better than a handwritten letter, especially on fine stationary with a fountain pen and pretty stamp. In some ways, I think I was born in the wrong era.
7. I can speak 4 languages, but never use 3 of them. Unfortunately Japanese, Italian, and Latin aren't all that useful in day-to-day life for me.
8. I'm slightly (okay very) obsessed with hot tea. My favorite is Barry's Irish Breakfast (brewed strong with just a tad of sugar), but I also enjoy my mug of unsweetened green tea in the evenings. I really like the smell of coffee, but am just not fond of the taste.
9. I'm scared to death of snakes. All other critters/insects/etc., I'm fine with. But snakes wig me out big time.
10. I'm happiest when I'm painting. I enjoy sewing/costuming, but it's a very tiring/draining thing for me, whereas painting is one of the few things that gives me energy.